Thursday, August 22, 2013

Jugo de Tamarindo - Tamarind Juice


I think this is one of my favorite juices growing up and it's all I drank during my 1st pregnancy.  Yummy, just thinking of it makes me thirsty!  Growing up, every Hispanic household would prepare this juice.  The most popular way was to buy the frozen pulp and then mix with water.  It is very refreshing and I can never get enough of it.

I am able to find the actual pods that grow from the tree in my local Mexican supermarket.  It's a customary beverage for many in the Caribbean and Central/South America.  You can eat it right out of the pod or make dishes with it.  I also enjoy eating it when the pods are cracked open and the insides are rolled in sugar.  It's acidic taste with the sugar make a heavenly combination.

Here is how I make juice from it.



Grab about a pound of Tamarindo.

Crack open and remove the shell.

Once open remove the veins.

This is what you should have removed and your fingers should be all sticky.

Place peeled Tamarindo in a large bowl or pot.

Pour drinking water to cover it.  Let it sit for about an hour then with hands mush to release the pulp.  The water will turn brown.  Once you feel the pulp has separated from the seeds, strain it into a pitcher. 

Add water and sugar to your liking.  Some like it more acidic than others.  We use cane sugar but you can use anything you prefer.

This is as customary to us and lemonade is to others.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment