Sunday, September 22, 2013

Baby Crib Bumper Redo


Crib bumpers... always a topic of discussion.  Yes, we are recommended not to use them but I always felt like my babies felt cozier with them and it made me feel at ease.  The first couple of months both my kids used the breathable ones that had a mesh like fabric all around.  Once they became pros at turning over, sitting, and moving I felt it was ok to put the regular ones on.  Every mommy will know what they feel most comfortable with, use your own discretion.

As we were finishing my son's room today, I realized that I never bought bumper that would match his room.  I sure didn't want to spend $40 plus dollars on a new one now since he is 10 months and before you know he will be in a toddler bed.  I thought maybe I could use my daughter's old ones but hubby said they didn't really match.  That is when I remembered I had some spare fabric I bought on clearance, a little over a yard for $3.  Originally, I wanted to make pillows for his room but just hadn't gotten around to it.  Now, I am in no way an expert at sewing.  Last time I used a sewing machine I was in middle school, a long time ago.  And you will laugh once you see the machine I used, but hey, it got the job done.

This is the view of one side of Tink's old crib bumpers.

I bought this fabric on clearance for under $3.  Here I measured to make sure I had enough for all four pieces.

Made sure I had enough to reach top to bottom.

And the cutting began.

Then I pinned the long seam.


It's ok if you laugh.  I know it looks like a toy but it did the job.  I need to work miracles on this one before my hubby agrees to purchase a REAL one.  I have a tendency of buying things and not using them like I said I would.  


I made sure I left two tiny openings to pull the ties through.

And finally, wiggled the cover over the bumper.  It reminds me of feeding elastic through a pair of pants.

After blind stitching the opened end, this is what I got.  

They will looks great in Tank's new room.  Again, use your own discretion on the use of bumpers.  Here is what they look like in the crib.


2 comments:

  1. This is such a smart idea! I love it! I will be doing this soon, I kept all little bills things. Where did u get the mini-sewing machine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swiped it from my sister! More like a long term borrow. :0)

      Delete